Michael is the inspiration behind the Michael Caines Academy, which was launched in 2011 in conjunction with Exeter College where Michael himself was a student.
“It’s about putting something back into the industry, helping to inspire young people to grow and reach their fullest potential”
The Michael Caines Academy aims to identify and nurture the region’s next generation of talented restaurateurs, chefs and waiters by providing high profile experiences, challenging practical and theoretical workshops and masterclasses from the best the industry has to offer. It offers a unique programme of study that not only gives to talented young people the qualifications and practical experience they need but also the opportunities and experiences to inspire them to achieve the highest level of excellence.
Demonstrations from guest chefs and organisations including Michael Caines MBE, Mark Dodson, Scott Andrews, Complete Meats, New Zealand Venison, Environmental Health Department and more.
There are numerous external visits to catering producers, factories, hotels and restaurants such as Lympstone Manor, Quickes Traditional Cheese, Ashburton Cookery School, Riverford Farm, Billingsgate Fish Market, Le Manoir Aux Quat Saisons.
Find out more about the Academy.
The Michael Caines Academy is a unique programme of study that will not only give you the qualifications and practical experience you need but combines it with opportunities and experiences to inspire you to achieve the highest level of excellence.
In years 1 and 2 you will complete the VRQ1 and VRQ2 Diplomas in Professional Cookery, offering you the skills needed to work in the industry, including:
- Catering operations, costs and menu planning
- Legislation in the food and beverage industry
- Preparation and cooking of stocks, soups, sauces, meat and poultry, fish and shellfish, vegetables, hot and cold desserts and fermented dough products.
- Health and safety awareness
- Customer service in hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism
Alongside the diplomas, you will have access to an exciting range of masterclasses, experiences, visits and placements to nurture your passion and talent and develop your understanding of the industry.
Previous opportunities have included:
- Demonstrations from guest chefs and organisations including Michael Caines MBE, Mark Dodson, Scott Andrews, Complete Meats, New Zealand Venison, Environmental Health Department
- External visits to catering producers, factories, hotels and restaurants such as Gidleigh Park, Quickes Traditional Cheese, Ashburton Cookery School, Riverford Farm, Billingsgate Fish Market, Le Manoir Aux Quat Saisons.
- A six-week work experience placement each year – previous placements have included Gidleigh Park, The Ritz Hotel (London), The Goring Hotel, Le Champignon Sauvage (Cheltenham)
- Work and cook at the South West Festival of Food and Drink – giving live cookery demonstrations, supporting chefs and assisting with service